To decorate playdough animals with toddlers you simply need foam balls and your homemade playdough. Check out my easy-to-make playdough recipe below. You can find more recipes in my free eBook. This guarantees some serious play fun while improving your toddler’s dexterity.
This site may contain affiliate links to products. I may receive a small commission (at no extra costs to you) for purchases made through these links.
Ingredients for homemade playdough
Food coloring (color of your choice)
1/2 cup salt
2 tbsp cream of tartar
1.5 cups water
2 cups of flour
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Instructions for homemade playdough
1. Have your child pick out the color.
2. Boil the water and add the color to it.
3. Meanwhile, mix all the dry ingredients.
4. Then, add the oil to the mixture.
5. When water is hot add it to the mixture.
6. Mix well with a cooking spoon (caution hot!).
7. When cool mix the play-doh well again. Add a bit of flour if it’s too sticky.
Decorating playdough animals
Foam balls have been a huge hit at our house and we use them to make slime and to decorate playdough animals. Although, you can use them for many more activities. If you don’t have any foam balls at home you can use dry pasta as well.
- Create your playdough and let it cool down.
- Decide what type of animal you want to create.
- Help your child to model your playdough into the animal shape.
- Now, let your child decorate the playdough animal.
Things you can talk about:
I love this activity because you can talk about so many things with your toddler while doing this activity:
- What animals is this? Sound?
- What’s your favorite animals?
- What colors is the playdough?
- Does the playdough feel soft or hard?
- How many foam balls have you used so far?
- What colors are they?
Also, try to participate in this activity with your toddler. I’m sure your child would love to see your creation as well. It’s a great way to bond with your child.
Let me know how this activity went. 🙂 Also, don’t forget to check out my Mac & Cheese Playdough recipe. Kids love it!